Monday 8 December 2008

Rosemary Shell vs. Wayne Gibbs

When I first heard about the following story I came unglued. Rosemary Shell, some chick down in the South (where else?) sued her former fiance Wayne Gibbs for $150,000 when he bailed on their wedding 3 days before the wedding. He left her a note along with $5,000 saying it was off.

GUYS! ARE YOU READING THIS? If this is not proof that marriage is nothing more than a business deal nowadays I don't know what is. Her legal claim, "Breach of Promise." What? Are you serious? Is that right? Breach of Promise? I've never promised shit so I'm good, and marriage and anything affiliated through that route isn't for me either so I'm in the clear. But about 99% of you out there are destined for love, marriage, and ultimate financial disaster. And no matter how much I tell you, no matter how much I preach, you will still slit your own wrists. But I digress. Back to Shell vs. Gibbs...

...Shell claims that she left her high-paying job of $81,000 in Florida to be with Gibbs in Georgia making only $30,000.

Gibbs however argued that he had already given tons of coin, including paying mortgage payments, paying off 30 GURR of her debt, and a fat rock which he didn’t get back. He claims that he broke off the engagement after learning that she had even more debt than he had previously known about. She eventually filed for bankruptcy.

So many lessons from this shit, #1 would be:

1) Long distance relationships are the worst idea ever prior to this story, and now they are REALLY the worst idea ever. If they work out, ultimately one party has to go to the source of the income and now they have the upper hand on you.

2) Never ever pay off a chick's debts. The most powerful thing you can ever tell a woman is "No".

3) Remember that the rock you give is a gift and she legally does not have to return that rock once you propose (few know this)

4) If you do go through with it, get a prenupt!

No comments: